This week I am here to talk about what are the best muscle building foods? I will be giving you a list and explanations on the foods that I think are best for each of the primary macro-nutrients.
Carbohydrates
First I would like to start out with carbohydrates. Carbohydrates are debated heavily among the bodybuilding community and have a massive stigma about which carbs are good and which are bad.
First I would like to start off with the majority of carbohydrates that you should be eating will be complex carbs that take longer to break down then sugars.
My first favourite source of carbohydrates is Brown/White rice. buying 5 minute rice or bag rice is perfectly fine and is an excellent source of energy for building muscle and working out. I personally prefer brown rice as it has a little bit of a lower starch content. This brings me to my next food which is bread. Yes that's right bread. I personally feel that you can fit bread into your diet, however; whole wheat and rye bread are the best choices. Rye bread is more dense and able to soak up more nutrients and is fairly low in starch. The rye bread I eat is around 35 grams per slice and only 70 calories. This can be used to make sandwiches or toast whichever you desire. My next and most recent favourite carbohydrate to eat is pasta, specifically whole wheat spaghetti with added protein. (I believe its made by the brand smartfoods) Pasta is a complex carb that breaks down slowly and provides you with lots of energy, especially for longer workouts. Last but certainly not least are potatoes/sweet potatoes. Potatoes can be done very quickly if you choose to bake them, just 5 minutes in the microwave and their done. This also delivers a long lasting energy boost best applicable for longer duration workouts.
Protein
Protein is one of the easiest nutrients to get in my opinion and there seems to be a trend in the food industry of adding extra protein to everything. This makes it much easier to hit your goals of your daily protein intake.
My first choice for getting protein would be from whey protein, although this is not directly food it is made from food products and is the purest, and easiest way to get protein into your system. The average whey protein supplement has about 25 grams of protein per serving/scoop and can be supplemented twice a day. For people who cannot afford supplements my next recommendation is egg whites and eggs. You can get egg whites that are flavoured and cholesterol free which are a huge bonus. Eggs and egg whites should be a staple in your diet as they are a low calorie/high protein food. Another staple in your diet should be chicken breast and fish, these are the two meats with the highest protein values and lowest fat content. Fish and chicken can be used at any meal and are great tasting with a variety of different recipes that you can make.
Fats
Fats are a very confusing thing to consume although they are essential to your daily diet. Fats are found in almost anything and can be very bad for you if your not eating the right types or in the right amounts. The two types of fats you want in your diet are monounsaturated fats and polyunsaturated fats. The two types of fats to definitely stay away from are trans fat and saturated fats.
This page has very good information on good and bad fats and explains them very well. I do not own any of the content.This chart can be looked at to help you determine good sources of each. This was found on ( http://www.helpguide.org/life/healthy_diet_fats.htm )
I hope you all find this information useful and readable, I am not a scientist so i try to not get to into the science behind the foods and just relay the essential information that will benefit you and your goals of fat loss, weight gain or just a healthy lifestyle.
Thank you for reading and happy lifting!
No comments:
Post a Comment